Monday, April 21, 2014

Googling Google

I use Google almost every day to search for everything from guitar tabs, upcoming concerts, to information on new video games, and new movies. I also use it to search for videos on YouTube as it is generally more convenient. When I am working on homework, I like to use Google to check the spelling of words, look for synonyms, and check grammar rules. 

So does Google have too much power in our lives? No, not really. I could use another search engine instead but I choose to use Google just because it's in a list of bookmarks that I can access quickly. I use an iPhone and a Mac Book, so Google is the default search engine when searching for things too. 

Do I think we are addicted to Google? Probably not. I think it's just Google's popularity as a search engine that has led it to become a much larger company. With its growth, it has been able to create more services that enhance our everyday lives. If people to choose to use Google over Bing or Yahoo, so what? Trying to blame Google for making us stupid, is stupid. I think Google simply serves as a gateway to information for most people, rather than an addiction of Googling just for the sake of it. People love to learn new things and be entertained, so as long as there is a balance between the two then I see nothing wrong with Google. I would only start to worry if U.S. government or Google tried to use its power to control the information we have access to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment