Sunday, June 8, 2014

Social Media: Till Death Do We Part… Well, Maybe.

Want to stay on top of your social media accounts even after you die? There's an app for that.

http://ifidie.net

It's a nice idea to leave a message for family and friends after you die but is Facebook really the way to do it? I mean, couldn't you just record a video or write a message and put in a box for someone to read on that fateful day? I really don't know and I doubt my opinion matters.

When someone dies, their social media accounts can be a great place for the family and friends to mourn and memorialize the person's life. This can be done by loved ones posting on the deceased's wall and looking through their profile pictures. The profile lives on and perhaps the person's spirit as well, but when do we draw the line between selfishness and respect for the dead?

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but if I want to say something to a loved one that has passed away I think it; I pray it. If I want to remember the one's I've lost I'll look through photographs or talk about them with someone. It's just the way it has always been done because at one point it was the only way society knew how to cope with death. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think that leaving a message for family and friends on Facebook is a bad idea. I just think it's kind of creepy.

This, however is very creepy:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/ghost-writer-tweet-from-beyond-the-grave-with-liveon-334133

If the ifidie app only crossed the line, then this app goes well over the line. An app that continues to post tweets for you after you die is a little absurd and even a little humorous. With the app's tagline, "when your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting," there's not really much more to say.

I'll be sure to give my future spouse the email and password to my social media sites, so when I die, my newsfeed won't be bothered by selfies and pictures of food. 





No comments:

Post a Comment